BAYADA is committed to creating a culture and environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) where all employees can thrive and all clients can receive high-quality, personalized care with a sense of well-being, dignity, and trust.
Diversity reflects the ways people are different from one another. This goes beyond the boundaries of race and gender to include culture, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, socio-economic background, religion, neurodiversity, gender identity, experiences, disability, and invisible illness.
Equity creates fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for individuals by establishing systems and processes that counteract social inequities and prevent the formation of barriers.
Inclusion fosters an environment where individuals feel safe to engage and participate fully because they feel respected, free to express their ideas, and valued for their unique voice, perspective, and abilities.
While The BAYADA Way always has been aligned with DEI values, our intentional journey as an organization began in 2020 to learn more, do better, and ensure that DEI principles are embedded throughout our business practices and strategic goals. In partnership and consultation with The Diversity Movement, BAYADA began by learning, listening, sharing, and organizing.
- Offering the foundational Diversity: Beyond the Checkbox courses to directors and office employees
- Created a DEI portal where all employees can access a wide variety of lifelong learning resources
- Completed 26+ hours of listening sessions with employees throughout the organization
- Adopted the ThoughtExchange real-time discussion platform for ongoing DEI surveys, collaboration, engagement, and growth at all levels
- Began hosting monthly DEI discussion webcasts with the CEO and a panel of employees from all levels of the organization, with live comments and Q&A from viewers
- Began reporting and discussing DEI progress in monthly executive leadership meetings, quarterly board of trustees meetings, and quarterly directors meetings
- Incorporated DEI topics into weekly companywide The BAYADA Way “Key Action of the Week” small-team discussions and exercises
- Established the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Established three Employee Resource Councils: BAYADA Pride (LGBTQIA+), R.E.D. (Racial/Ethnic Diversity), and W.I.L.L. (Women in Limitless Leadership)
- Updated our holiday policy to be more flexible and inclusive
- Revisited procurement decisions regarding medical supplies, now providing options including clear masks and multiple skin tone bandages
- Added DEI learning and practices into recruiting, onboarding, and career advancement programs
Together, we are building the skills and understanding required to be more effective allies to each other and to people in our communities who deserve equitable access to best-in-class health care.