Special Honors for WWII Vet
Sergeant Alphonsus ”Uncle Al“ Schertel, a 92-year-old WWll veteran, bronze star recipient, and hospice patient with end-stage heart disease, received a grand celebration in honor of his service. His BAYADA Hospice team from Boyertown, Pennsylvania, coordinated the event at Forever Green Farm, where he lives with his niece and her family.
A frail, yet beaming Schertel was joined by family, hospice staff, military friends, and guests who experienced a range of emotions–from solemnity to celebration–throughout the events of the day, which included:
- Full military honors from American Legion Post 244, who presented a flag flown over the White House, sent from Senator Pat Toomey which had flown over the White House.
- A proclamation read by Senator Bob Mensch
- A pinning by Army Private First Class Meghan Lyman
- A prayer from his church's Deacon Boyle
- Videotaping his story of how he saved his buddy’s life and was awarded a bronze metal